To oversee all administrative/clerical activities of the main church office as well as providing assistance to other staff members as approved by Head of Staff. To support and promote the mission of Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian Church. This position reports directly to and provides administrative/secretarial services to the Pastor as Head of Staff.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Primary receptionist for the church office, meeting the public, greeting and receiving church members and visitors. Maintains organized, welcoming reception area.
- Receive telephone calls and screen as necessary, provide assistance to caller as appropriate, or direct call to appropriate party.
- Receive, sort, distribute and generally manage all incoming and outgoing mail. Stay up-to-date on e-mails and respond in a timely fashion.
- Provide clerical functions including:
- Typing and editing of correspondence
- Secretarial support to the Pastor
- Design, composition and editing of newsletter and e-news
- Preparation of weekly bulletin
- Maintain and coordinate pastor’s calendar/schedule
- Maintain and coordinate scheduling of church facilities
- Provide secretarial support to the Clerk of Session for preparing and maintaining permanent church files, both paper and electronic, including but not limited to membership records, up-to-date member directory and member statistics. Communicate to the Clerk of Session the status of all updates to records and files.
- Set deadlines for receipt of information and prepare documents for appropriate distribution, including but not limited to bulletins, announcements, letters to congregation, newsletters, e-news, annual reports, etc. while demonstrating use of solid editing, design and composition skills.
- Communicate prayer chain information on a timely basis.
- Responsible for ordering and management of office supplies, equipment and service on equipment as needed. Work with Properties Team in scheduling maintenance and repair of buildings. Communicate regularly with custodian on daily church maintenance.
- In conjunction with the Properties Team, maintain access to and distribute church keys on an occasional, as needed, basis to be retrieved once event/activity is completed.
- Maintain current file of vendors and service personnel.
- Coordinate and assist volunteers and staff with administrative related tasks.
- Attend staff meetings.
- College graduate or minimum five years experience as an Administrative Assistant
- Strong computer skills in current software programs
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent command of the English language
- A genuine interest in people; good interpersonal and telephone skills.
- An interest in the work of the church and willingness to abide by the principles of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the authority of the Session of this congregation
- The ability to express information concisely both verbally and in writing
- The ability to work well with many different personalities and openness to learn new skills
- Should be a self-starter, good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects
- Should possess strong administrative skills and the ability to work independently without supervision, while always functioning as a team player
- Must maintain confidentiality in all aspects of this position
- Must pass a background check
Performance evaluations will be conducted annually by the Pastor as Head of Staff. The Personnel Team will annually review the adequacy of compensation. All employees have confidential access to the Personnel Team of Session.